Thursday, April 8, 2010

I've always wanted a food blog

I made the decision before my daughter was born to make as much of her food as I could. I am a chef, after all, and I'm surprising myself with how fun I'm finding it.

My little Test Nommer is only 5 and a half months old, but she started solid foods at around 4 months old.

I know, I know. It's young. We decided to start her on solids at that time because, well, she seemed ready. She was following our hands and mouths with her eyes as we ate, she was mimicing chewing actions, and we felt guilty eating in front of her. Additionally, she had a bit of a stomach bug and the pediatrician suggested that a little rice cereal might stop her up a bit.

Let's get one thing straight: I'm not particularly crunchy.

Yes, I feed the Test Nommer mostly organic food. Yes, I make her food. The former is mostly because of my own health issues and in my paranoia I want to keep her from anything I can that might cause her problems down the line, like pesticides. I have no data to back this up. This is blind, ignorant, first-time mom neurotic behavior. And the organic stuff usually looks tastier. The latter is because I find it fun and I don't want to give her anything I wouldn't eat myself and the jarred stuff grosses me out.

I also do not breastfeed. This was a function of medical necessity and not choice, though I don't see an issue with people choosing not to breastfeed, either. As long as the kid is fed, I don't particularly care and I don't think anyone else should either. Good? Good.

So, gentlemen, start your food processors!

1 comment:

  1. Are you a creative writing instructor at a university? How do you handle potentially dangerous students?

    ReplyDelete